The Respiratory System
Correct answers are indicated by an asterisk (*).
- The symptoms of allergies are brought about when the body releases certain chemicals, including __________, as a response to being exposed to an allergen.
Asthma can be triggered by . . .
C. emotional factors
*D. all of the above
E. none of the above
- True or False: Other than the obvious food allergies, diet has little to do with Asthma.
- True or False: Although they can sometimes provide quick temporary relief, antibiotics can often make chronic or recurrent ear infections worse in the long run.
- The yeast-like fungus that often goes undiagnosed and which is often involved in chronic respiratory problems is . . .
C. Escherichia coli
*D. Candida albicans
- True or False: Cleansing of all the organs of elimination is an essential first step for most respiratory problems.
- Proanthocyanidins (previously known by the trade name pycnogenols) are powerful antioxidants that come primarily from . . .
B. grape seeds
C. white willow bark
D. pine bark
*E. B and D
F. A and C
- Respiratory conditions in which there is a deficiency of mucus, or the mucus is thick and yellowish, are said to be _____ conditions.
- Respiratory conditions in which there is an excess of mucus are said to be ________ conditions.
- Damp conditions with white or clear and watery mucus are said to be . . .
- Damp conditions with yellow, green or brown mucus, often involving an infection, are said to be . . .
- This bitter herb, also known as "Indian Tobacco," is native to North America, has antispasmodic and expectorant actions and is excellent for clearing the lungs. A few drops of an extract made from this herb, held under the tongue, along with a couple of drops rubbed onto the chest or upper back, can often stop an asthma attack very quickly.
D. Uña de Gato (Cat's Claw)
- This mucilagenious herb with cool energy is native to Europe and Asia, although it has been naturalized in the U.S. It is ideal for "dry" respiratory conditions since it soothes and protects irritated mucous membranes and is a good natural decongestant and expectorant. It also inhibits the growth of viruses and bacteria, including those that cause tuberculosis.
D. Uña de Gato (Cat's Claw)
- For respiratory problems, essential oils are used in the following way:
C. in the bath
*E. All of the above.
- The herbal combination for dry hot respiratory conditions that is also suitable for emphysema is...
A. Mullein & Ginger
B. Grape and Pine
C. Ginseng & Garlic
*D. Marshmallow & Fenugreek
- Otitis media, or a middle ear infection, can result when this becomes blocked due to excess mucus, excessively thick mucus, and/or swelling of the membranes.
*B. Eustachian tube
- Beneficial bacteria living inside the human body that are essential to our health because they prevent the growth of harmful organisms such as yeast and fungi are known as . . .
Continue to Lesson 12