Introduction to Herbalism
Directions: Select the best answer for each of the following questions and then click on the submit button.
- What is an herb?
A seed producing plant that does not develop persistent woody tissue but dies down at the end of the growing season.
A plant or plant part valued for its medicinal, savory, or aromatic qualities.
Both of the above are correct.
- Herbs that are used to season foods are referred to as:
- The following refers to herbs, plant parts, or flowers that are used for their odor; as in perfumes, fragrances, incense, etc.:
- What is the difference between a drug and an herb?
Herbs are derived from plants, drugs are not.
Drugs are prescribed by physicians, herbs are not.
An herb is a plant part in its entirety, while a drug is a synthesized copy of one chemical component, such as a component found in an herb.
- What percentage of all currently used drugs have one or more plant components as an active ingredient or contain a synthetic copy of an ingredient originally discovered from a plant.
- Herbalists prefer using the whole herb and believe that the reason herbs have fewer side-effects is because
there is a natural balance of naturally occurring chemicals in the plant.
herbs are not as biologically active as drugs.
herbalists are natural dreamers.
- The World Health Organization estimates that healing herbs are currently the primary medicines for _______ of the world's population.
- It is not necessary to make a diagnosis in order to use herbs effectively.
- Americans and Canadians have discovered that high tech and high price tag guarantees the highest quality when it comes to our health.
- The Americans and Canadians are way ahead of the Europeans and Chinese when it comes to the use of herbs.
- Due to the fact that we spend more money per person on health care in the United States than in any other country, we experience better health than any other industrialized nation.
- It has been estimated that ___ percent of all medical diagnoses are wrong.
- In the United States, the use of the Systems Approach is only legal for licensed health professionals.
- Health care methods that are concerned with the whole individual, as opposed to the diagnosis and treatment of specific conditions, are considered:
- The action of two or more substances such that the total effect is greater than the sum of the individual effects is referred to as:
- The purpose of this course is to
make you into a doctor.
improve your diagnostic and treatment skills.
give you the tools that you will need to make better decisions with regard to your health and the health of those you care for.